Cambodia Redux

23-May-05
As many of you know, I am back in Asia. The reason for my trip this time is research for my book. Tentatively titled, Landmine Melodies, it will tell the story of the survivors of landmine explosions. The survivors have found ways to earn money, my focus will be on those who play music. One of my last posts had some pictures of these people. The book will tell their story. I mentioned in my last post the group called Angkor Association for the Disabled. The founder and leader of that group is a gentleman named Sem Sovantha. His group sponsors the musicians. I've already met with Sovantha and he is enthusiastic and eager to help me in any way he can. Good news! I'll meet with him and he will in turn arrange for my interviews with the survivors and anyone else he thinks is of interest.

In the meantime, I took a trip out onto the huge lake called Tonle Sap. While the the total number of square kilometers is quite large, the volume of water is very low. Most of the lake varies from 1-4 feet deep during the nine months or so that is not rainy season. This time the trip went to a floating village called Kompong Phluk. It was a stunningly clear and beautiful day with some great cloud formations.
The most amazing thing happened on the way to the village. An Irish woman was sitting behind me and suddenly she screamed and crashed past me. I turned around and a huge catfish was flopping around in the bottom of the boat. It had jumped into the boat following some strange bio-imperative. Must have had a sudden urge to be someone's dinner. The skipper and his son captured this monster and put it away in the boat (in the bilge?) to save. No doubt it would provide at least two meals for his family. On the site is a picture of the boy holding the catfish. Definitely scared that poor Irish lass half to death!

A few of you have seen my very recent picture. The heat and humidity finally got to me. After more than 25 years without shaving, I finally shaved last week. Most of you have never seen me without a beard. My kids have never seen me beardless! I'm not sure how long I'll keep it this way, but enjoy the pic! Comments welcome! (I think) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Back in the Land of Smiles

Weekend at the beach!

Cambodia - Day 1